So You Acted Out… Now What?
You had sworn that there was no way you were ever going to fall again. Things were getting better, but then what happened? Now you are sitting there, aching inside, and cursing yourself. You allowed temptation to lure you back into looking at something on your phone or computer that you promised that you never would return to again. You thought you were strong enough to handle it, but you couldn’t, or at least you didn’t, and now you are miserable.
Peter had his own after fall experience. He had sworn to Jesus, “Even if everyone else deserts you, I will never desert you.” Jesus replied, I tell you the truth, Peter-this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” “No!” Peter insisted. “ Even if I have to die with you, I will never betray you!” (Matthew 26:33-35). Jesus had been right, as always! Jesus was betrayed, arrested, tried, and beaten. It was more than Peter could bear; but he couldn’t walk away. So he followed. He was suspected of being a collaborator. Each time he lied to protect himself. The third time, “Peter swore, A curse on me if I’m lying-I don’t know the man!” And immediately the rooster crowed. Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “ Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” “And he went away, weeping bitterly.” (Matthew 26: 74-75).
Jesus knew Peter was going to fall in advance; and his love didn’t skip a beat! God doesn’t hate you after acting out. He loves you every bit as much right now as he did before you fell.
You may accept God’s forgiveness, but feel that your fall has disqualified you from serving God or aspiring to great things. You may conclude that you might as well go back to the old lifestyle you had before you began to hope and work for something better, your healing and restoration from your addiction.
You may consider yourself disqualified after a fall, but God doesn’t. The apostle Paul said, “For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn” (Romans 11:29). Just because you’ve blown it doesn’t mean that you should give up and go back to your old life. God still has a wonderful future for you. You only really fall when you refuse to get up and start again.
Jesus, the Good Samaritan has found you, beaten down and feeling broken because of your choice to give in. He will dust you off, bandage your wounds, and once again tell you to follow him.
Now, you know what you have to do:
- Did you ask God to forgive you for your actions, in both flesh and mind?
- Did he forgive you? (You know He did, His Word says so)
- Did you forgive yourself? If not why? God doesn’t want you walking in guilt and condemnation!
- Did you reach out to a Brother during this time of weakness? (obviously not)
- Do you realize you robed your fellow Brothers of a blessing? Had you reached out, you would have given your Brothers the opportunity to be that blessing of talking you down from the temptation.
- Now, get up, dust yourself off and go FORWARD! Pick back up the armor and keep fighting! The battle IS NOT lost, you just got a wound, now reach out to your Brothers and myself, let us patch that wound with you and Keep Fighting!!!
I really don’t know what to say